Project: MLP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Project: MLP

Join in and collaborate your ideas. We are re inventing My Little Pony.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A few things you might want to consider if you think about taking up writing.

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Deusinsanus

Deusinsanus

If any of you tl;dr this you can just leave right now.

Step by step guide for the noob writer you are:
First thing is getting the idea for your story. I can't really help you there other than saying look for something that inspires you. For example, I usually get the best ideas when listening to music. Depending on the music genre, and the song itself, I get ideas for different kinds of scenes. But that's just my way, meaning music might not get you any ideas whatsoever.

Next thing is deciding on what type of narrator you want to write as. I personally know of three different ones you can choose from: The first one is the all knowing, omnipresent narrator. He knows about most if not all of the plot around the story, and usually explains new plot points in detail. I would recommend this one for people who have yet to write their own story, or if you are not so sure about your skills. The second form of narrator is the main character himself, also known as "I-narrator". This is a bit trickier than the omnipotent version, since you are not aware of the entire plot, and have to write as if you were experiencing what is happening in the story. The final narrator I know of is a bit more distant than the I-narrator, but not quite as much as the omnipotent one. You still technically experience everything yourself, but you are more of a spectator than an actual part of the story. That's most of what I can tell you about narrating, which one you choose depends on your experience and type of story, for example, a horror story greatly benefits from the I-narrator, since the reader is just as surprised by plot twists as the characters themselves most of the time.

Next thing you should know is that, if you need a title for a chapter, or for the story itself, you never decide on a title before writing most of the chapter or story. You should leave the title blank and fill it in once you know almost exactly what you want to write about in this chapter.
Now for characters. Again, this greatly varies on the type of story you are writing, but there should be at least the following key characters:
The protagonist. He, or she, should be likeable and even relatable to an extend by the readers. It doesn't matter if you want to make him or her the most powerful being in existance, if they have no proper character developement people will not like the story.
The rival. A rival is usually a counterpart to the protagonist, but not always his enemy. At least not for the entire story (like Gary Oak from the Pokémon series). The rival is often used to give the protagonist a goal (e.g. becoming strong enough to defeat them), or to just be a way to waste some time. You should only use the rival as the latter if the story is supposed to be part comedy.
The sidekick. The sidekick is often the best, or the only friend of the protagonist. Be it from childhood days (a good idea if you want to do use some flashback scenes) or someone he recently met and instantly became bros with. The sidekick can be anything from a scaredy cat that runs at the first sign of danger up to the guy/girl that ends up having to save the protagonist on more than one occasion. Similar to the protagonist, the sidekick should be likeable by most of the audience, if only for their funny mock ups every once in a while. Note: The sidekick can easily become a romantic interest for the protagonist, but try not to let that get out of hand if you decide to use it. Another Note: None of these characters have to be only one person.
So, that's the simplest characters your story should have.

Ok, that is pretty much all I can remember. I'm too tired and can't be arsed to do more right now, so I hope this helps you. If not, please don't tell me, because that would mean I wasted your time, and more importantly, mine.

Deusinsanus

Deusinsanus

It seems I forgot a few things you should remember. Try to have as little plot holes as possible, e.g. the protagonist or the antagonist suddenly having a power/gadget that saves them from certain doom, which they did not have before.
Next thing. Proof reading. We have some people who will do it for you in this group, but for future stories you might not. When you think you are finished with a chapter, take a break for a few minutes, come back, and look at what you wrote. You should spot mistakes more easily this way.

Including the first part, this should really be all the basic stuff you need for writing your own stories. Now get to it, we still need some good ideas for cutaway scenes in the first episode.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum